Friday, July 20, 2012

Condolences to Aurora

     I thought for a long time about this. My next post was originally going to be a comparison between Batman: Death by Design and Batman: Earth One. However, the tragedy in Aurora, CO takes precedent.
     I considered that writing about it at all bordered on opportunism. Perhaps it does, perhaps not. I thought about how people may be overloaded with news about the Aurora incident. I eventually decided that writing about Aurora is the the right thing to do, because I created a blog because I feel have something to say, and I have something to say about this.
     Firstly, to the people of Aurora: What has befallen you is a tragedy. One man committed acts so heinous that will resonate for the rest of your lives. Your grief will be hard, but you can bare it. You can be strong through this. I believe in you.  I hope that in this time you can be there for each other. You have my sincerest sympathies.
     Secondly, to everyone: Do not be afraid. If you want to be cautious then  do so, but please don't let your fear run your life. Events like this remind us how chaotic and short life can be, which is why it is so important that we live our lives as we want. I can't imagine that we would want to cower in our homes afraid to do what we choose.
     I will go to the theater, and I will watch the hell out of The Dark Knight Rises. I will absolutely NOT let this shake me. I strongly recommend that you do the same.
     Lastly, I refuse to offer any thoughts to the killer other than that I hope he does enough time to recognize the gravity of what he's done.

If you want to help the people of Aurora, Huffington Post has a list of ways that you can. Turn your fear and your sadness into something better.

Stay strong.
-Jordan

2 comments: